A Cold Cure – Fresh Ginger Carrot Juice

I found this post in a collection of 70+ draft posts that I forgot to publish last week. Whoopsy daisy.

I woke up with a stuffy nose and scratchy throat yesterday. It is the time of year, I suppose. I have been nearly paranoid about getting sick this winter since I am in school part-time and missing a day of classes means I fall behind and I really can’t do that.

We are heading into Christmas Break with two full weeks off school and a much-needed (and I feel hard-earned) days off. I have been begging my body to hold out on getting sick until then, if it must even get sick at all.

I don’t think she’s listening but I’m desperate to fight off whatever I woke up with yesterday.

So I popped some extra-strength Cold FX and made some juice loaded with fresh ginger. It was really ginger-y and Levi didn’t like it much – but he only puts up with ginger, he doesn’t love it like I love it.

Fresh Ginger Carrot Juice

• 1 Granny Smith apple, cut in half
  • 1 carrot, peeled and cut in to a few pieces
  • 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled
  • 1 cup cold water

Directions:

1. Throw it all into the blender or juicer and let it go.
  2. If you like super cold juice, you could shake with some ice.

(Note: I used a Vitamix to blend this. If you’re using a regular blender I imagine you’ll want smaller chunks of fruit and probably want to remove the apple core.)

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “A Cold Cure – Fresh Ginger Carrot Juice”

1. Jen
    January 4, 2012 at 7:19 am #

Hi Megs,
    I went to take some Cold FX myself, this morning, but looked at the ingredients list and saw it contains gelatin! Maybe that’s new/old so not sure if yours is different but just thought I’d let you know in case you want to avoid it going forward.
    Best,
    -Jen

• Megan
      January 4, 2012 at 7:35 am #

Ack! I didn’t even think to double check the ingredients. Thank you so much for letting me know Jen! I checked mine and yup … gelatin capsules. I wish they would use vegetable-based capsules. I’m going to send an email to them and suggest it, because you never know maybe with enough requests they could change! Thanks again for the heads up. I’m usually so conscious of label-reading but … haha I guess my head was kind of clouded.

2. Jen
    January 4, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Yeah I didn’t even mean to find out – I just wanted to read about the active ingredients! I sent them an e-mail, too. In the meantime, I just have to find a different remedy…

3. liz
    August 4, 2012 at 5:34 am #

So, meg, did it work? I have a 24 hr shift in army and my nose is starting to run, not a good combination, when I get runny nose usually means it turns into respiratory and I’m.sick for two weeks!

• Megan
      August 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Oh no! I hope you can beat this before it escalates. Yes, this really did help. This along with some much needed rest, extra Vitamin C, and lots of liquids seem to always do the trick for me. You might not be able to get the ‘rest’ part with your 24-hour shift but I hope the juice, liquids and extra Vitamin C help!

4. Sarah
    October 4, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

This is great! I can feel the ginger kicking my sore through to the curb. Thanks for this!