I don’t really like fake meat. I will make faux burgers but I never try to make them taste like meat.
Most commercial faux meat substitutes contain gluten too.
I came across this recipe for vegan meatballs. The original recipe calls for gluten ingredients like whole wheat flour and wheat germ. I decided I’d try making a gluten-free version and see how they tasted.
I did the traditional spaghetti and ‘meatballs’ with tomato marinara sauce.
- ½ cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (I used my favorite sprouted brown rice)
- ¼ cup gluten-free rolled oats (I used Only Oats)
- ⅓ cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon Bragg’s Liquid Soy Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (or agave nectar)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until ingredients are combined and resemble ground meat. Lentils should no longer be whole. Do not overmix.
- Wet hands and form mixture into 16 small (1″ to 2″) balls. You should get approximately 16.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Let rest on baking sheet for 10 minutes to allow them to firm up before serving with pasta and sauce.
Next up … taking these tasty balls and perfecting the best vegan/gluten-free meatball sliders the world has ever known.