Black Bean & Sweet Potato Enchiladas

Tomatillos and Jalapenos

I am a big fan of tomatillos. I’ve posted a tomatillo salsa recipe in the early days of this blog and I’ve made it a lot since then.

There’s really not much I can think of to improve the recipe itself. But, I’ve taken to experimenting with what to serve the salsa verde with.

Today it’s another enchilada dish – this time stuffed with black beans and sweet potato.

Since my tortilla press met with disaster the first time I used it, I haven’t made homemade corn tortillas yet. When I don’t make my own I usually like to buy them at the Farmers’ Market. But, I didn’t do that this time either and I have to say my dish suffered for that reason alone. They were just too dry and crumbled when I tried to roll them.

I am telling you all of this so you can understand why they look weird in the pictures.

Black Bean & Sweet Potato Enchiladas

• 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    • 1/8 teaspoon Mexican oregano
  • 16 corn tortillas

Directions:

Salsa Verde:

Tomatillo Salsa Verde

dull green tomatillos and jalapenos ready for blending

1. Place tomatillos and jalapenos in a saucepan and cover with water.
  2. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until tomatillos barely turn a dull green color.
  3. Drain and place tomatillos and jalapeno in a blender with onion, garlic, vegetable bouillon and fresh water.
  4. Blend and set aside.

Sweet Potatoes:

1. Cover sweet potato cubes with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until fork tender.
  2. Drain and mash. Set aside.

Black Beans:

1. In a large skillet heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic and saute about 5 minutes, until onion begins to soften.
  2. Add black beans and mash with a wooden spoon until broken up.
  3. Add water a bit at a time, stirring to make a nice chunky black bean sauce.
  4. Remove from heat and add in seasonings.

Assembling:

1. Spread a thin layer of salsa verde at the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
  2. In each corn tortilla place one tablespoonful each of black bean mixture and sweet potato.
  3. Gently roll up and place in the baking dish. Continue until a layer of rolled enchiladas are completed.
  4. Spoon some salsa verde over top each enchilada.
  5. Repeat with another layer of enchiladas, topping with the remaining salsa verde.
  6. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes until fully heated through.

Serves about 6-8.

Ta dah!

Baked Enchiladas with Salsa Verde

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Black Bean & Sweet Potato Enchiladas”

1. Debra
    March 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

My favorite vegan recipe. Love this one. I cheated and just bought already made fresh salsa verde because I couldn’t find tomatillos. Will be making many more times.

• Megan
      March 13, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Awesome! I’ve used ready-made salsa verde before too. In a local Mexican market I found canned pureed tomatillos too which I imagine would work in a pinch. Not sure if that would be readily available in your area. Did you use homemade corn tortillas? I finally just bought a new press so I can make these again with my own tortillas and not some dried out ones.

2. April 27, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

This recipe looks GREAT! Can’t wait to try it! And I totally agree that packaged tortillas are terrible for rolling. Mine ALWAYS look just as bad. I’ve never tried making my own, but I’m hoping to find a good one eventually that doesn’t crumble to pieces when I roll them. It helps putting them in the microwave covered with a wet paper towel for about 20 seconds. Softens them just a bit. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I’m really enjoying everything on your site. Just found it today! Thanks!

• Megan
      April 27, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

Hi Nicole! I love the tip about throwing the tortillas in the microwave with a wet paper towel. I’m definitely going to try these if I have to use packaged tortillas again. Glad you’re enjoying the recipes! I love hearing that. :)

3. October 15, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

I made these last night and they were awesome! I’ll admit though, I cheated and used a pre-made tomatillo salsa, but I think I was still able to get the flavors of the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

• October 15, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

I’ve used store-bought tomatillo salsa in this recipe before too. Homemade is always best, but let’s be realistic, we don’t always have time for that! A good quality and great tasting store-bought substitute is a-okay by me! :) Glad you liked them!

4. December 15, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

About how many would you say this feeds? I’m making dinner for 12 tomorrow — I should double this recipe, right? Thanks!!

• December 16, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Yes I would probably double it. The recipe as written would feed about 6-8. You’ll have a bit more than you need for 12 but I think it’s better to have left overs than not enough. Enjoy!

5. ryan
    February 13, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

I’m SO making this for my honey for Valentine’s Day! Looks delicious!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. PAELLA - October 15, 2012

[…] Greek StyleWizard of Oz Party: Yellow Brick Road Polenta & Ruby Red MarinaraHawaiian HaystacksBlack Bean & Sweet Potato EnchiladasThe King’s Lettuce Salad and Watership DownVegan Curried Sweet Potato Soup & Beer Braised Brussel […]