What Do You Miss Most Since Becoming A Vegan?

Has anyone asked you that before?

Chances are likely I could stake some money on that.

In a recent “exercise” I talked into a camera and answered that question.

Raw, unedited. Messy hair and annoying gestures included.

And tell me … what do you miss most since becoming a vegan? And have you found a passable/acceptable substitute?

(And my apologies for the shaky camera. I’ll do better next time, I promise.)

Tags:

17 Responses to “What Do You Miss Most Since Becoming A Vegan?”

1. Sara
    February 26, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Cheese is definitely high on the list but having discovered many different types of homemade creamy/cheesy sauces (including your creamy sun-dried tomato, etc pasta dish and this month’s VegNews Spectacular Spuds article on making a baked potato cheese that I’ve turned into nacho cheese too) I ultimately miss sour cream. It is actually my only dairy (organic) product that I’ve allowed myself in the past year of being vegan. My hubby make an awesome homemade, all organic french onion dip. I have several recipes to try for cashew or tofu sour cream. All of them may be acceptable for small amounts added to a dish but none of them (yet) can transform his dip to vegan french onion dip. Sour Cream.

Eating out is hard. We have one Vegan restaurant close (well 30 mins) to us that is nice as a treat. I miss it some, like you said about having time of not wanting to cook, but it is manageable and more fun at home! Plus things like having homemade veggie burgers in the freezer as back up always helps!

• Megan
      February 26, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Thanks for stopping by sharing Sara! You’re totally right – there are so many good alternatives for cheese sauces, etc that I don’t totally miss cheese. Daiya cheese is great for melting too – it actually does melt and stretch the best of the vegan cheeses out there. I’m not a fan of tofu sour creams – not the ones I’ve tried anyway but I do like the cashew sour cream that I’ve been able to perfect. It’s been a long time since we’ve had real sour cream so maybe it’s partly not remembering what real sour cream is like. That being said, when I put the cashew sour cream into a 7-Layer Dip our non-vegan friends really enjoyed the creamy faux sour cream layer.

After a week in Vegas of eating out (some amazing vegan food too!) I am thankful to be home and in my own kitchen experimenting again. As much as I enjoy a break from cooking we really prefer to eat our own food at home. It’s safer and healthier – and cheaper! :)

2. February 27, 2012 at 8:15 am #

Good for you! I think you’re quite brave to put the video out there. Although I have to say you sound and talk exactly as I thought you would – adorably!

I’m with Sara – the thing I miss most is eating out. It’s hard to have to cook all the time, every day – especially because it is really NOT my thing, and if I could just have a bagel with cream cheese for dinner each night, I would. Silly kids and their need for a balanced diet, SHEESH.

• Megan
      February 27, 2012 at 9:20 am #

Haha, Lynn you are too sweet! Thank you. It is very nerve wracking to make a video and post it completely raw and unedited. It’s so easy to be critical of ourselves and I’m trying so hard to break that. It’s been an interesting exercise in ‘letting go’ and I hope that if I keep it up it’ll get much easier for me. After all, how am I ever going to become the next famous tv food show personality if I can’t be comfortable with how I look on video?! ;-)

It’s so true, eating out is such a challenge. I find it’s almost become easier for Levi to eat out with gluten-free options appearing on many menus now, but much more difficult for me as a vegan to find good options. I am thankful I enjoy cooking. If I found it a chore all the time I’d probably be in trouble! (Don’t get me wrong … there are nights that cooking is the LAST thing I want to be doing!)

Thanks again for stopping by. It’s always nice to see a comment from you. :)

3. Jo
    February 28, 2012 at 2:04 am #

Bacon. I’ve tried to recreate the taste, and I came up with the perfect smoky/salty/sweetness, but the texture was all wrong. (I also tend to forget how to time things, which is how things get burned to a crisp, and not a good crisp). I’ve tried eggplant bacon, tempeh bacon, tofu bacon, etc. I will never again eat meaty bacon, but I’ll do my damnedest to find a good substitute.

• Megan
      February 28, 2012 at 11:03 am #

ahhh bacon. Yes, there’s something about the saltiness that is easy to miss once you’re vegan. I had forgotten about bacon actually. When you perfect your fake bacon let me know!!

• Janers
      January 29, 2013 at 11:03 am #

oddly portabello mushrooms sliced, fried with a mini-pinch of sweetener, tamari/soy sauce, & smoke flavoring, then salted (maple if desired) is pretty close

4. Kristen
    March 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

um. you’re super adorable.

• Megan
      March 8, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

Aww thanks Kristen. I need to keep at it and get in front of a camera again to keep overcoming my personal fears. Part of the battle is coming up with a topic to talk about in less than 2 minutes. Suggestions anyone?

5. April 29, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Great video! (I’ve pondered doing a video for my site but it scares me!)

I miss bacon and marshmallows I think. I can’t quite get those right.

• Megan
      April 29, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

Ooo marshmallows. I kind of forgot about those! I haven’t tried any of the vegan varieties, but I am intrigued by them. Do you make your own? As far as the video thing is concerned, it does get easier after the first few times. I was so scared the first time too. :)

• May 2, 2012 at 2:42 am #

I’ve tried the dandies and Sweet & Sara. The dandies are a good stand in for traditional marshmallows for something like a marshmallow topping. I’ve tried roasting them on a stick but they are tiny! There is a whole contingent of people out there who adore Sweet & Sara. I keep thinking maybe I didn’t give them enough of a chance. They were good. Don’t get me wrong. Quite good. But not low end enough for me I think. ;) My plan is to try some of my own with agar-agar this summer. I’ll let you know how they turn out!

• Kita
          May 8, 2012 at 8:44 am #

Dandies are amazing!! I know they are small to roast, but when I went camping I just roasted two or three at a time and used gluten-free graham crackers with dark chocolate to make the best s’mores XD.
          The only thing I miss eating out is ice-cream on a summer day. Thank god for sorbet!

• Megan
            May 8, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Wow Kita gluten-free vegan smores sound like the best summer treat ever! I think I’m going to have to try it out. I haven’t had much luck finding either gluten-free graham crackers or vegan marshmallows locally so I might try ordering online.

Thanks for sharing!

6. Terri
    December 10, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Hi,
    I miss alfredo, but I see from posts above you have some great sauces that would take that away!
    I also miss cheesy lasagna. Overall I do pretty well but its just the occassional time.

• December 11, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

I hear you about cheesy lasagna. I’ve been making a roasted veg lasagna with almond ricotta that helps with the richness and cheesiness I missed from traditional lasagna. I haven’t posted the recipe yet because every time I make it my pictures turn out so lousy. It’s on my list of recipes to re-shoot in the new year. Also, I haven’t made a vegan version of alfredo but you’re right … some of the basic “cream” sauces I’ve got posted would be an excellent basis for it and now I am going to give it a go in the new year too! Thanks for the inspiration!

7. Ciana James