Homemade Fresh Lime Sea Salt

coarse sea salt

I’ve never made my own flavored sea salt before. Lately I’ve been more into making homemade crafty type gifts and I like to include something homemade in my Foodie Penpal Swaps. This month I decided to include Fresh Lime Sea Salt.

Don’t try to use lime juice from the bottle. You absolutely need fresh juice and the zest here or there’s no point making this salt. Trust me okay?

5.0 from 1 reviews
Homemade Fresh Lime Sea Salt

Ingredients
  • 3 limes, zested and juiced
  • 1 cup coarse sea salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 200F.
  2. In a small bowl, combine sea salt with lime juice and zest.
  3. Spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet.
  4. Bake in low oven for 15-20 minutes. It should not brown but appear dry.
  5. Let cool. Break up larger pieces that may have clumped together.
  6. Store in air-tight containers.

I buy my coarse sea salt from Costco. They sell the sea salt with a grinder built on the top. It’s $3.79 for about 2 cups (or more) worth of sea salt. You could also probably buy coarse sea salt or Kosher salt from Bulk Barn or your bulk foods store for a reasonable price too.

The fresh lime zest is so fragrant and beautiful.

fresh lime zest

homemade lime salt

I also tried to experiment with a homemade balsamic salt but I ended up with a gooey sticky mess that no matter how long I baked it for never did dry out. Weird. I think I know where I went wrong though. I should have left the oven door open a crack to let the moisture escape. Back to the drawing board on that one I guess.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Homemade Fresh Lime Sea Salt”

1. August 13, 2012 at 10:08 am #

What if you made the balsamic salt in a food dehydrator? Also, thanks! You’ve given me a great idea for Christmas gifts.

• Megan
      August 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Mari that is an ingenious idea!!! I think I need to find myself a food dehydrator on the cheap and try it out. Thanks!

2. August 13, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

will you come take photos of my stuff? haha your posts are always SO PRETTY! I was wondering if your friends would be interested in spice blends? I use this one for taco season, and I have my own sazon blend I’d be happy to pass along! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-I/Detail.aspx

• Megan
      August 18, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

Aww thanks Kate. That’s such a nice compliment. I am just learning how to use my new camera but have been trying to make my photos look more appetizing. Glad to know that I’m slowly improving. :)

Thanks for the link to the Taco Seasoning blend. I love spice blends so I’d love to hear what you use for Sazon too. Thanks for sharing!

3. Melissa
    September 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

What would you use this salt for? I think it might be good on baked crispy chick peas….any other suggestions?

• Megan
      September 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

That sounds like a brilliant idea Melissa. Honestly the only thing I cared about using this salt for was rimming some margaritas this summer. Sprinkling a bit of this lime salt on homemade tortilla chips would be pretty awesome too I think.

4. Elise
    June 21, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

That gooey mess might not be such a mess…it sounds like it might b a good base for soup or a sauce…just an idea…let me know how it works out….

5. August 3, 2014 at 8:25 am #

I haven’t tried the recipe yet, but I am excited to find it. I’m going to use the salt as a flavoring for air-popped popcorn! I got the idea from Outrageous Olive Oils and Vinegars. (I did buy a jar of their Lime Fresco Sea Salt, but it was $15 for 2.5 ozs. I’m not afraid of trying to recreate something if it can save me that kind of cash! I do appreciate their quality AND their recipe ideas, though.) Anyway, you spray garlic oil on the popcorn and sprinkle on the lime sea salt. Yum! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Lime Sea Salt: Gluten-Free Food Gifts | Elite Daily Diet and Fitness - November 27, 2012

[...] Lime Sea Salt recipe at The Gluten Free [...]