I love hemp & seed bread. I love the nutty crunch. I like the varied flavors of each seed. I love that it’s healthy and extra yummy.
This recipe uses my basic gluten-free bread flour mix found here. This recipe makes one medium-sized loaf.
This is a soft loaf with a lovely crunch. This particular loaf happened to rise very fast, which then resulted in it losing some of its roundness. So the lesson I learned is: don’t let it rise too high and too fast. I have a ‘bread proofing’ setting on my stove. It sets the oven to 100°F. I am not a seasoned baker but I wonder if this is too warm for this gluten-free bread – and though I don’t know if this is actually a fact or if it’s just my own imagination – perhaps any gluten-free bread. If anyone with experience using a ‘bread proofing’ setting with gluten-free baking has anything to suggest, please let me know.
So basically the main thing is that you want this to rise to just the top of the bread pan, but you don’t want it to happen so fast that it collapses before you even bake it.
Using the ‘bread proofing’ setting on my oven it rose up within 30 minutes. If you let the bread rise on the counter in a warm place free from drafts it may take up to an hour to rise up nicely. Again, you don’t want it to rise too much too fast.
- 3⅓ cups Gluten Free Bread Flour Mix
- 2¼ teaspoons dry active yeast
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon warm water
- 4½ tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups warm plain unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon whole flaxseeds
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole flax seeds
- Grease a large loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl combine gluten free bread flour mix and dry active yeast.
- In a small bowl combine ground flaxseed and warm water and let sit 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
- In the work bowl of your mixer combine vegan margarine, apple cider vinegar, warm non-dairy milk and flax mixture. Beat mixture until combined.
- With mixer on lowest speed setting add the gluten free flour and yeast slowly, combining a little at a time.
- Add first amount of whole flaxseeds and hemp hearts.
- Beat batter for 3 minutes on high speed.
- Spoon bread batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and second amount of whole flaxseeds.
- Let dough rise until just the top of the pan – between 30 – 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake bread for 10 minutes. Cover with foil and bake an additional 50 minutes. Test for doneness.
- Let cool about 10 minutes in the pan then turn out on to a cooling rack to cool completely before enjoying.